food for thought - caring about other people

April 9, 2013

A very raw (in the emotional sense) video -- makes you reflect on how everyone's got their hardships, their heartache, but how many of us take the time to care?
Summary of video -- comedian Anthony Griffith had to deal with being a clown, a comedian for people while going through a very difficult time in his own personal life.

Thoughts --
1. Life is tough. It only gets tougher as we grow older. Listening to his story makes me feel so ashamed and embarrassed of the complaints I spout & the ones I hear from peers. We've got it good and we don't even know it. We would rather instead focus on the little areas of life that don't go that well when we could be focusing on and being thankful for all that we do have. I do this too but over the last few months with everything that's been going on at home, I've realized that I've got so much I can be rejoicing and thanking God for. Yeah, life is difficult, times are not the easiest, but hey everyone's got troubles, everyone's got pain, fixing our eyes on God and thanking Him for what He has already provided is much more beneficial and uplifting than wallowing in our complaints.

2. I've noticed that people don't usually remember when someone didn't celebrate with them at (wedding, graduation, promotion, birthday, etc.), but it sticks with them when they are going through a difficult time and no one's there to listen, care, or even ask them how they're doing. I don't want to be someone that people can only talk about the good things or the shallow things with, or even the meaningful theological ones. I want to be someone who other people can be real with, someone who really cares, and not just about the whole 'school, job, relationships, summer plans' kind of care. I think though, everyone wants to care, it's more a matter of how that leaves people clueless. We don't know how to care, and sometimes we're scared to in case we get it wrong. I get scared of overstepping boundaries -- but in a sense, I suppose I'd rather care too much, then care too little. Everyone's got their issues, their pains, their heartaches -- but how many of us take the time to care? Hmm..




Comments

Popular Posts