this can't be all there is

November 3, 2012

Archie: Why do you think it's so important that your... your fairy tale theory is true?
Henry: I don't know.
Archie: Give it a shot.
Henry: 'Cause... this can't be all there is.
(Once Upon a Time)

Henry is the only one in all of Storybrooke who believes the (true) idea that everyone in his town was cursed &had forgotten who they actually are - fairy tale characters.
I really liked his answer - "because this can't be all there is".  This thought runs through my mind often as I'm sitting in lecture and a few times after hanging out with friends. Now, don't get me wrong, I enjoy sitting around with friends doing nothing more than the average person does actually. But there are some nights of laughing and joking and activities that leaves me really empty at the end of the night and I'm left wondering - is that really all there is to life? to hanging out? to friendships? There are some events where just sitting there makes me feel uncomfortable as to how utterly meaningless it is. It's one of the reasons why I choose to not partake in certain activities, because life is short, and I will not buy into the lie the world gives me that these lesser pleasures & entertainments can fulfill or satisfy me and bring me the friendships I want. If it's going to leave me empty, I'm not going to waste my time on it.

I was once talking to my roommate about the lie many Christians have bought into - that what the world says is cool, fun, entertaining, and enjoyable actually is. My roommate comes from a more conservative state and went to a well known Christian college. And so when I was telling her some of the activities that Christians here at the most liberal university in the liberal state have found okay to partake in, she questioned in shock "How do they think *insert activity name* is at all wholesome?"
And I believe it is due to the fact that we've bought into culture & society's idea of what is cool, fun, and entertaining. We have not tasted enough of the goodness and sufficiency of Christ to look at the world's definition of cool & fun as unattractive. We don't question it, we just go with it. And there's our two major problems - not enough of Christ & not questioning our choices in light of the gospel &the holiness we're called to pursue. It's ironic and sad because I hear testimonies of people who had tasted all that this world had to offer and found it to be empty &then after coming to Christ, dropping all those activities because they had found what truly satisfies & is worth living for. But today, we've gone the opposite way. We've got a relationship with Christ, and we're running back into the world's activities, going along with its definition of cool, fun, and entertaining and convincing ourselves that it really IS fun, satisfying, and entertaining. We're Christians who still want to be in this world.

We were made for so much more than meaningless jokes & talks, foolish revelry, and the like. It leaves us empty as it has always and always will. As much as I like to veg on brainless TV shows & movies  from time to time, the times that I really enjoy and particularly look forward to are those conversations in which my friends and I challenge each other spiritually, pointing out the blind spots, sharing our struggles, encouraging one another to strive forward in Christ, and to put behind us those activities that lessen our desire and passion for God.
And maybe that's why I know that this can't be all there is. Because I've tasted true friendship - one built on a common foundation in Christ, one built on challenges and convictions and mutual encouragement through our faith. Because I've tasted what is true adventure & life - to walk with God daily, each day a miracle because of the grace, patience & mercy that God has extended me despite the previous day's faults and shortcomings. Thank God this isn't all there is to life, to friendships - thank God that in Christ we have the boundless riches of knowing Him & abundant life as life was meant to be!!



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts