"I think I did pretty good"

August 13, 2012
I just got back from my church's retreat where the theme was "Encountering God". It was definitely a God-filled experience for me.  For retreat, I was one of three facilitators for the junior high group. Our whole congregation was split into four groups that would compete for points whether through games or by getting to the messages/workshop on time. The junior highers were in a group with the married couples.  The first night we had an ice breaker to win points; the game was charades. One of the incoming 6th graders felt that he should be the one to guess since 'everybody knows [him].' He is quite the self-confident one, haha. So he was allowed to be the one to guess what we were acting. Except he didn't guess anything correctly without major hints (by major I mean he was pretty much given the answer) from the host of the game. For example, one of the phrases we acted out was 'going to disneyland'; the clue? "it rhymes with Disney...pan" haha. After finishing our round of the game and sitting down, I heard him turn to his friend and say "I think I did pretty good!" I couldn't help but laugh and think how cute his confidence in himself was. 

But how true this must be of myself at times too. I think I do pretty well - "I led that small group quite well", "that Bible study went well", etc., but I must remember how much GRACE and POWER God's given me and how little I have to offer, and if it were not for the grace of God and through His help, how could I have gotten those results?  As I reflect on the retreat small group discussions I helped facilitate, I am truly humbled by God's grace to me. There were times where the kids were so rowdy I felt utterly helpless, discouraged, and clueless as to how exactly to calm them down and get them really grasping the topic that had just been covered.  I am so humbled that God would use me and would give me the privilege and honor of serving Him.  I pray that whenever I may even start to think that I've got a lot to offer, or that I know a lot, that I would remember how infinitely more God knows and has, and how it is truly by His grace and mercy that I can serve Him in the ways He's given me privilege to do. 

I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God’s grace given me through the working of his power. Although I am less than the least of all the Lord’s people, this grace was given me... (Ephesians 3:7-8a) 

Comments

Popular Posts