food for thought: the heart of worship

December 12, 2011
...saying,
"When will the New Moon be over that we may sell grain,
and the Sabbath be ended that we may market wheat?" (Amos 8: 5)
The Israelites kept their festivals and their Sabbaths with their bodies, but not with their minds and hearts.  They 'did' the festivals and Sabbath because it was law.  There was no desire to do it because it put a hindrance on what they would rather be doing.
Do we do this today as well? Do we see Sunday worship, small group, devotionals, or fellowship time as a hindrance to what we'd rather be doing? Do we arrive just in time for Sunday worship or small group to maximize our time doing something else? Do we sometimes skip out on the above for trivial reasons that show nothing more than our selfishness and want of comfort above honoring our Lord and Savior? Do we think during a worship service "when will this end so I can ____"?  So I can study for my test. Finish my hw. Watch that TV show. Watch that game. Watch the Super Bowl. Run my errands. Get my nap. Hang out with my friends. Go shopping.
Sometimes, there's just so much we'd rather be doing but we 'do' Sunday worship, small group, or fellowship because we should, and not so much because we want to and treasure it or value it the way a smitten woman/man prizes her/his time with the object of their affection.
Oh how sinful and deceitful the heart really is. It's ironic how we sing with our mouths praises to God, promises of completely surrendering our lives, and words of adoration to God, and yet our lives seldom reflect true worship and love for God.
I'm convicted by this verse. Sometimes, my 'worship' of God is but a list of things I have to finish before I can get to the next item on the list. Sometimes, I take for granted the privilege and honor of worshiping God so personally and intimately and I but fool myself into thinking that it all still counts as worship.  But God wants me, all of me in worship. And He deserves nothing less, and so much more. And when I realize the depth of my depravity, sinfulness, and selfishness, it but emphasizes and highlights the magnitude of His grace, mercy, and love bestowed upon me, and I'm compelled to a response of adoration and praise for so great a Lord and Savior of mine.

Comments

  1. I like this post Christine. :) I, too, get distracted sometimes while listening to Pastor Brian on Sunday by thinking about all the tasks I have to do after. Our minds are constantly racing but we have to discipline ourselves to set our hearts and minds only on God!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts