movies, movies

October 23, 2011
No motivation to do my project 3 for Stat215A, so I shall blog! haha. I watched Chronicles of Narnia - Voyage of the Dawn Treader last week.  I loved it! I've always liked Chronicles of Narnia and how it's an allegory for so many Christian concepts.  At the end of the movie, the children and Reepicheep (cute talking mouse who happens to also be a brave fighter) are on the edge of Aslan's country (allegory for heaven I suppose?) and they converse with Aslan. 
Your eminence. Ever since I can remember I have dreamt of seeing your country. I've had many great adventures in this world but nothing has dampened that yearning. I know I am hardly worthy, but with your permission I would lay down my sword for the joy of seeing your country with my own eyes.” (Reepicheep says to Aslan concerning Aslan's country)
I don't know/think that quote is from the original book, but I liked that quote.  "but nothing has dampened that yearning" - Do the things we experience in this world dampen our yearning for heaven? For God? For eternity with God? I hold onto the comforts of this world too dearly.  The adventures, the joys, the ups and downs, the attractions of this world - they are nothing compared to the future glory we will behold in Christ, they are nothing compared to eternity with God, but so many of us get distracted by these worldly matters - careers, school, marriage, relationships, etc. Not that these are bad, but may our yearnings for intimacy with God, for heaven never dampen. Can playing with mud dampen a child's desire for playing at an amusement park? I'd think not. May we continue to pray for the yearning, the desire, the passion I hope we all felt at one time in our lives for God, for the future glory that will be ours when Christ comes back.  


I watched "the Secret of Moonacre" yesterday.  I liked it a lot, because of the meaning behind the movie.  There was much on pride and greed.  Pride - it blinds us to our own hypocrisy, it imprisons us in darkness, it grows bitterness and vengefulness within us when we believe ourselves to be wronged.  Pride drives us away from others, mostly from the ones we hold most dear.  Pride makes reconciliation impossible, and is often the driving force behind never ending cycles of hurting people and expecting people to respond better.  


It related a lot to the Bible study I attended on Friday night. We went over John 9 - the story of Jesus healing the blind man.  The disciples only cared about 'who's sin was it? - this man's or his parent's that called this?" We're quick to look for someone/something to blame what we don't understand on. But Jesus reveals - 'neither, but this was done so that the work of God may be displayed.'  We're quick to look at uncomfortable situations and try to find blame or a reason for it, when we ought to be focusing our sighs on God and asking "God, how can You work through this? how can You bring glory to Your name through this? Allow me to be a vessel."  The pharisees and their pride blinded them - they refused to acknowledge Jesus as God despite what they plainly saw.  They were blind to their own hypocrisy.


Over the last week or so, I've seen so many instances of pride in my own life.  Instead of focusing on uncomfortable situations and asking God "why?!" or praying that the situations would be taken away, I am learning to fix my eyes on God in these situations, to pray that God would remove the pride within me, that He would use these situations to transform the ugly out of me, that He would be making me more Christlike in all situations.  I need to constantly remind myself that God's goal for me on this earth really isn't for me to live a comfortable, trouble-free life (honestly, my life is quite trouble-free anyway), but for me to be Christlike. I want to be wholly His and I do not want to sacrifice the opportunities to bring glory to God's name, to be a vessel, to be Christlike for a comfortable, trouble-free life.  

Comments

Popular Posts