like little children

July 12, 2011
And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:3)
I read this a few days ago in my QTs, and as I was reading it a silly incident from VBS came up in my mind. It was lunchtime, and the pre-k kids had gotten their hot dogs and pizzas. I noticed a few of the kids had finished their hot dog, but left the bun uneaten. They said they didn't like the hot dog buns; I jokingly said "How about you try dipping it in your punch and seeing how it tastes like?" Now, if I had said that to someone older, they probably would've known that I was joking, but I failed to realize that pre-k kids haven't yet understood that certain silly notions suggested are not to be taken seriously. So when I came back into the classroom from getting them napkins, utensils, etc., I noticed two little girls dipping their hot dog buns into the punch and eating it! I was both surprised and amused that they had actually listened and done my silly suggestion. One finished it and liked it, the other didn't like it as much, haha.
As I was reading the above verse and thinking about the incident, I realized that there is one quality in children that we gradually lose as we get older: we listen but do not do. As silly as my suggestion was, the kids simply did it! Maybe because they saw me as a teacher or as someone wiser and older, but whatever the case, they simply did it. I think two important principles can be learned here.
One is that we must learn to simply do what the word of God says.
He replied, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it." (Luke 11:28)
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. (James 1:22)
We often read, and know, but lack in our 'doing' and putting into practice. For example, the two greatest commandments are love the Lord your God with all your soul, mind, body, and strength and love your neighbors as yourself. Have we loved God with our very being? When someone annoys us or frustrates us, do we respond lovingly or do we harbor resentment? When God says "be holy, as I am holy", do we take it to heart and apply it to all areas of our lives, including the way we go about our careers, the way we deal with people, the activities we allow ourselves to be immersed in, the things we allow ourselves to watch and listen to? I must admit that doing the word of God is often a hard thing for me. Loving my neighbor is not always an easy thing, and it is often easier for me to just be annoyed and frustrated, then take the extra step and love them and pray for them. Sometimes, God's commands may even strike us as confusing or non-understandable. But we are not required to understand everything but we are required to obey God's word. Obedience comes before understanding.
Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins. (James 4:17)
Not doing what we know is in God's word and what we read is actually sin. I think that when I really see not putting into practice God's word as sin, I realize more the importance and urgency of putting into practice everything I know about what God has commanded me to do. When I choose to be frustrated and annoyed instead of forgiving, I sin. When I choose to watch a movie or listen to a song with questionable content because I believe myself to not be affected by it, I sin because I have not followed God's standard of purity and holiness for my life. When I choose to stay out late on Saturday, partaking in activities that do not increase my spiritual growth but causes me to cling more to the flesh, I sin because I have not regarded my Sundays with such honor as to choose to be well rested Saturday night to prepare my heart, mind, and soul for worshiping God the next day.

The second principle I've been reminded of came from meditating on the verse that was a couple of verses after the first mentioned verse:
But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. (Matthew 18:6)
We must be careful of what we say around not just children but everyone! Now hopefully, I didn't sin or anything when I told them to dip their hot dog buns into their punch, but considering the incident, I realized how important of an effect our words truly have. With our words we can either build or tear others up. With our words we can either honor or dishonor our God. With our words we can either direct and guide others toward or away from God. With our words we can either choose to aid in God's work in glorifying Him, or aid in Satan's work in glorifying our flesh. Our words have a powerful effect, and I am constantly reminded to be careful of the words I choose to let out of my mouth, for one day, I will have to give an account of every word I have ever spoken.
But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.” (Matthew 12: 36-37)


Comments

Popular Posts