immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Lately, I've been overwhelmed with just how many blessings God provides. The change of circumstances from March to now has been drastic. There was much that I was anxious about, unsure of, and discouraged by, and looking back, in each and every situation I've seen the hand of God, leading me to where I am now and providing and engineering the circumstances in a way beyond my understanding or own plans.

One of the situations I was discouraged by was grad school.  There were a lot of setbacks, a lot of uncertainty, big hits on self-esteem, and a lot of pessimism on my part. But there have been drastic changes this semester that I am just so grateful for. I have finally set a qualification exam date for this semester, and it feels like such a feat considering how very impossible it seemed when I was not allowed to take it last semester. But considering the circumstances of this semester and who I was able to get onto my committee, I am so glad that I was not allowed to take it last semester. Rejections really are blessings in disguises, and 'no's really can be just temporary.

I was also awarded a research grant in the first few weeks of the semester. I was amazed; I didn't expect it! And it was perfect timing considering this is the last year of my current scholarship. I don't have to worry about funding for next year, and what's more, I may even be able to get a new computer! Truly a blessing considering that my computer has restarted in the middle of doing work 6 times within the last two weeks.  The timing of this award was perfect - not too soon (or else I'd take it for granted and forget to be grateful) and not too late (or else I'd be freaking out about financial aid).

The latest blessing and providence has been with figuring out the next step in my project.  About a month ago, I started stressing about with what to do next with my research project. Would I have to collect my own data and clean it (which is tedious, at times difficult, and usually not much fun)?  How and where would I even find an idea for the next project? And then two weeks ago, out of the blue, my friend messages me saying Yelp has provided access to their data set - all cleaned and nicely formatted. I was super excited at the coolness of the data/project and just the amazing providence of it all. I was just handed a data set! In the perfect format! Already usable! With so many cool applications perfectly related to what I was already working on! And the ideal nature of the situation was made even more apparent to me Thursday at my research meeting.  Someone pointed out that I should apply my model to product or business reviews so that I could actually give a metric of how my model was performing. And my advisor and I just laughed and said, "Funny you should mention that...because that's exactly what we're thinking of doing next!" It's incredibly perfect and ideal.

I'm constantly reminded of how God really does provide and is always guiding me, even when I feel lost, unsure, or discouraged. He does not leave me to figure things out on my own. But at the right time, in the right moments, He always provides in a way that exceeds my expectations and hopes, just like it says in my favorite verse:
Now to [God] who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. (Ephesians 3:20-21)
How true indeed are Tozer's words:
With the goodness of God to desire our highest welfare, the wisdom of God to plan it, and the power of God to achieve it, what do we lack? Surely we are the most favored of all creatures.
We really are the most favored of all creatures.

Comments

  1. thanks for sharing dear :)) It's encouraging to read what God is doing in your life :))!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts