surrender to God's will

February 6, 2012
"Absolute surrender to God is simply putting yourself into the hands of infinite love. God's love is not only wiser than that of any earthly father, it is more tender than that of any earthly mother." (RA Torrey, pg. 176) 
I've been thinking about 'surrendering' lately - probably because as this semester is moving along, more and more people are asking me 'what are your plans for next year?'  While it is easy to say "whatever it is that God leads me to", it's a lot harder to mean it sometimes.  I'm not sure what the coming year will bring, and with the possible options I can think of, I'm really not sure at all what it is I'd prefer, but I have been feeling surprisingly fearful of what is to come.  In part, maybe I just do not feel ready to know what it is God's going to bring me to next yet - I'm not ready to either say goodbye to everything I've known for the last 6 years,  or stay another however many years up here.  
As I was reading the chapter that the above quote came from, the author mentioned how people are sometimes scared of surrendering their will to God because they fear He will have them do something they don't want to do or dislike doing. Yeah, there are definitely times I fear what He may call me to do when I surrender.  But at the same time as I reflect on it, it has to do with the fact that I cannot let go of self-will sometimes.  I've been praying a lot about that in regards to the future. To let go of what it is that I may want, to let go and just trust that no matter what comes, God's plan is not one to harm me, but that is best for His kingdom and His glory and for me as well. 
When I read the above quote, it stuck with me.  Lately, I've been talking to my roommate about how I've learned to trust God over the years. And looking back, it makes sense, if I believe that God is God, that He is my Savior, Father, and Redeemer, why would I not trust Him? Shouldn't that be my first inclination? I've found that I've grown to trust God and wholly surrender to Him in certain things - tests, future career, friendships, and ministry.  There is always a sort of peace that I feel and have when I know I've completely and wholly submitted and surrendered my will in regards to something, and it's amazing because I've seen God work time and time again each time I've wholly submitted. 
As of now, I'm learning to submit and surrender absolutely to God in terms of my future - of what may come about this year and the next, of the changes it will bring, and of what those changes may indicate to me.  I'm learning to really believe in that quote above; to not just know it or agree with it, but to believe it and act upon it. I will wholly surrender to God and trust that when I do so, God is a Father who loves me and who has blessed me in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ Jesus. 



Comments

Popular Posts