food for thought: faith in prayer

July 29, 2013
22 “Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. 23 “Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. 24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
My home church has been going through a series on prayer and it's been something I've been reflecting upon this summer.  I believe in prayer no doubt; I believe that God is almighty, omnipotent, and sovereign and that He can do all things. But I've realized there are certain things that while I believe God has every ability to achieve it, I lack faith in believing and trusting that He will do it. There are situations and people that I pray for where I know that after I prayed for them, I have full confidence and faith that God will work and will achieve His purposes. And then there are other situations where I pray for it, believe that God has every ability to work in those situations, but then lack the faith to be able to confidently say that God will answer.  

"Have faith in God". If my faith were really fully in God, then I would not have trouble believing that what I pray for will be accomplished according to His power & purpose. But so often, my faith is not in God, but is rather swayed & influenced by circumstances and by the limitations of my human perception. I think too much from a human point of view and I let the difficulty and impossibleness of situations get to me and weaken my faith. I suppose it all comes back to where my gaze is fixed upon -- God or everything but Him? 

Teach me Lord to keep my eyes constantly fixed on You. Not on people. Not on circumstances. That my faith would rest solely in You. That I will not look at the difficulty or impossibility of situations but at You who can do immeasurably more than all I can ask or imagine according to Your power. Teach me to pray confidently and with full faith in You that You will answer according to Your will & accomplish your purposes to the praise of Your glory. 

Comments

Popular Posts